Stephen Enriquez, a state education specialist in the U.S., where the craze started, told KPMH: "These days our teens are doing everything for likes, views and subscribers".
The Condom Challenge is the latest risky teen trend that is hopefully not sweeping the nation.
One woman accidentally inhaled a condom into her lungs, leading one to collapse because the condom was blocking the airway, the Post reported. Another medical report chronicles the woe of a 26-year-old African woman who swallowed a condom for the same reason and got appendicitis when a condom fragment got stuck in her appendix. Not only do kids risk choking on the condoms, but according to Forbes, the challenge also carries the risk of allergic reactions and infection. As Kens5 puts it, "There is a fine line between bravery and stupidity, but the line isn't so fine when people snort condoms".
In fact, most of the discussion on social media seems to be filled with people who are confused about why the "condom challenge" might be a thing - not people who are actually doing it. Would it really be worth all that just to get more likes and views?' Condom snorting, apparently, is the latest fad making its rounds on social media in the United States.
The Condom Challenge isn't new, but a resurgence of a past trend. The video has since been removed, but there are still dozens of others showing teenagers accepting the challenge.
Although it's unclear why news of the condom-snorting challenge has resurfaced, it appears to be related to the recent warnings about these types of games.