Officials in the central Japanese city of Gamagori are warning residents not to eat blowfish purchased from a local supermarket after potentially deadly parts of the fish were inadvertently sold. Three of the packages of fish have been recovered by authorities, but two others remain at large.
However, Gamagori city activated an emergency warning to its citizens alerting them through all wireless systems, including community loud speakers, against eating the fugu and recalling the product.
Toshiharu Hata, a fugu wholesaler in Japan previously told CNN it is traditionally served as transparent paper-thin strips on porcelain pates.
Two packs of the recalled fish were located and returned on Monday night after the city's quarantine office was alerted by a consumer who had bought the product and found the liver still inside.
The potential for death is greater if eaten as part of a soup - when eaten raw the fugu can often cause intoxication and light-headedness and sometimes it can be purposely eaten for this very reason.
Fugu is an expensive delicacy, but it is also so unsafe that it must be prepared for consumption by specially licensed professionals.
Many consumers, however, are wary of its reputation and some local authorities have called for a ban on its sale.
Japanese fugu fish is deadly to humans if incorrectly prepared. And there is no antidote to this poison.
"It's a very tasty fish, but that's not the only reason people choose to go to a fugu restaurant", said Shinichi Ueshima, a chef at the Dote restaurant in Yokohama.
Only 30% of chefs who attempt this actually pass and go on to become licensed. Despite this, pufferfish poisoning claims several victims in Japan every year.
"Eating fugu liver can paralyze motor nerves, and in a serious case cause respiratory arrest leading to death", officials warned.