She began to feel sick shortly after eating them and died.
While eating raw oysters is commonplace and the risk is low, it is not negligible. During the trip, LeBlanc and her friend Karen Bowers shucked and ate about two dozen raw oysters, Bowers told CBS.
"About 36 hours later she started having extreme respiratory distress, had a rash on her legs and everything", her wife Vicki Bergquist told local media.
LeBlanc reportedly developed "severe wounds" on her legs, and doctors informed her that she had a bacterial infection known as vibriosis.
Within the next 12 hours, LeBlanc became seriously ill.
Jeanette LeBlanc died on October 15, 2017 after battling the infection for three weeks. Her family and friends believed that it was a simple allergic reaction.
Offered Bergquist, 'It's a flesh-eating bacteria.
People are most at risk when they eat raw or undercooked seafood or have exposed a wound to seawater.
Symptoms include diarrhea, nausea, fever and chills and outbreaks generally happen in the warmer months, from May to October.
Bergquist now plans to raise awareness about vibrio. Estimates suggest 52,000 of those cases are likely the result of eating contaminated food, especially raw seafood.
One woman's family is working to warn others about the dangers of eating raw oysters after she lost her life.
Another recommendation is to always wash hands with soap and water after handling raw shellfish and avoid contaminating cooked shellfish with raw shellfish and its juices.
Stay out of brackish or salt water if you have a wound (including cuts and scrapes), or cover your wound with a waterproof bandage if there's a possibility it could come into contact with brackish or salt water, raw seafood, or raw seafood juices.