Authorities in Egypt reported at least nine people dead after two gunmen attacked a church south of the capital on Friday.
Earlier reports by security sources and state media said at least two attackers were involved, and that one was shot dead and another fled the scene.
Egyptian authorities are calling the attack a foiled attempt - as they say the gunmen had explosives that could have made the attack even deadlier.
Nine were killed in total, including one policeman at the church, the ministry said.
According to the Youm7 newspaper, the security forces are now trying to detain the second attacker, who left the scene riding a motorcycle.
The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for an attack on a church south of Cairo that left at least nine people dead Friday.
The two attackers opened fire at the entrance to the church of Mar Mina in Helwan district, which was being guarded by police in the run-up to Orthodox Christmas celebrations next week, security sources said.
Cellphone footage posted on social media appeared to show the bearded gunman wearing a bulky ammunition vest sprawled on a street, barely conscious, as people restrained his arms and then handcuffed him.
During a Palm Sunday service in April more than 40 people were killed and many more injured by bomb attacks in two separate cities and in May almost 30 people were killed when gunmen attacked a bus carrying Coptic Christians to a monastery.
Coptic Christians in Egypt have been faced several attacks by extremist organisations. One gunman was shot dead as was a security officer, he said.
Egypt imposed a state of emergency following the church attacks and shootings, and President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi demanded the army quell the jihadists with "brutal force" following the mosque massacre. Isis also claimed responsibility last week for firing an anti-tank missile at a helicopter at an airport in northern Sinai as the defence and interior ministers were visiting.